Swedish Cardamom Cookies
Yesterday I shared a recipe for Norwegian cardamom cookies, but I have a confession: those aren’t my favorite cardamom cookies. And now I have an embarrassing confession: my favorite cardamom cookies are actually Swedish. These sliced cardamom cookies are soft and fudgy with a hint of cinnamon and caramel. They are so good, and so easy to make!
They’re quite similar to chokladsnittar, or Swedish sliced chocolate cookies. They’re also made without egg, which makes them extra dense in the center – in a good way.
You will want to use freshly ground cardamom seeds for these cardamom cookies if you can, as pre ground cardamom doesn’t have much flavor. I use seeds from green cardamom pods and grind them in a mortar and pestle.
Then combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for the four. After you’ve mixed them well, add the flour and combine with your hands until the dough comes together in a ball.
I love how easy sliced cookies are to make, as you can simply roll out the dough and press it down with your hands. You don’t have to be exact here at all, in fact you want them to be imperfect.
For extra cardamom flavor, you can sprinkle the top of the cookie dough with sugar and more ground cardamom. You can also skip this step if you don’t want quite as strong of a cardamom flavor (I think they’re delicious with and without).
If you’re a fan of cardamom, you’ll also love these Swedish kardemummabullar (cardamom buns).
I usually let the cookies cool for a couple of minutes before slicing them up. But don’t wait too long, as they’re a lot easier to slice when they’re still warm. You can use a pizza/pastry wheel or a knife to slice them.
You can switch the recipe from US measurements to metric by clicking from “US Customary” to “Metric” under Ingredients.
Swedish Cardamom Cookies
- mortar and pestle
- 2 tsp cardamom seeds
- 14 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar (or extract)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Grind the cardamom seeds with a mortar and pestle. Set aside one teaspoon of cardamom for decoration.
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for the flour.
- Add the flour and continue to mix, switching to your hands at the end until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Divide the dough in two and roll out into two long sausages. Press them down on a baking sheet.
- Mix together the extra teaspoon of cardamom and granulated sugar. Sprinkle across the top of the flattened cookie dough.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing into diagonal slices.